We are all guilty of scrolling for hours at a time on social media these days. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest…these platforms can keep you busy for days!
Aside from using social media for pleasure, it can also help take your business to the next level. Easy right? You make a Facebook page for your business, and voila! You post on it occasionally, you rack up likes and follows and then suddenly, your phone is ringing off the hook and your inbox is filled with inquiries of your services.
Wrong! There is much more to it than that.
Social media is not only inexpensive, but it is one of the most useful tools out there for you to take advantage of to help get your company to that next step. You may be wondering why, when and how. We are here to go over that with you, today.
Why social media? Why tweets and posts and comments and likes? Your business is nothing without its identity. Who are you? How did your business start? How does your work benefit your clients? This is the story you will tell the public through imagery and text. Why create a social media page? By doing this – you are creating a brand. Your logo and name will start to become recognizable – and brand recognition is everything. Social media may not always be the direct reasoning behind your business’s success, but it will only add value to your work.
Are you new a business opening shop in a few months? Don’t wait until the day of to make your big debut! You want to stir up some excitement prior to that first day. Start posting some teaser photos of your logo, construction progress, any decorations that are to be hung in the office, a countdown of when you will be open for business – ANYTHING to get people talking. If you are more than a year out, perhaps hold off until you get to the 6-month prior range. You will only have so much content to work with, and you don’t want to have to stretch it further than it can go. When should you create a social page if your business is already up and running? Try yesterday!
Okay, so we learned about why and when. Now how are we to get this thing off the ground and running? Your social pages will only work as hard as you do.
- Get the word out.
- If applicable, communicate with your current clients. They are the low-hanging fruit you must pick! Let them know when you create your social pages and ask them to follow you. You already know them, and they know you.
- Find your support system.
- When your account is in its infant stages, you will need some followers/likes to legitimize your page. In addition to “getting the word out”, follow businesses like you in your area. Chances are, they will follow you back. This will then increase your chances of your profile appearing under recommendations for anyone following those accounts.
- Post 3-4 times a week.
- Mix up the content. Get creative. Social media is meant to be fun!
- Use hashtags and tag other businesses when appropriate.
- This only applies for certain social outlets, but don’t shy away from the power of hashtags. DisplayPurposes.com is a great tool if you aren’t sure where to start. If you are collaborating with other businesses, don’t forget to tag them in your posts!
- Promote, advertise and boost.
- When your page is developed and you are ready to expand its contents even further into the technical world, don’t be afraid to put a little money behind a post. Like we said in the beginning, social media is inexpensive, you can put $20.00 (or less or more!) behind an ad and choose exactly where in the world and who in the world is seeing it! It is truly amazing.
Don’t forget to connect with Totus Business Center on our social media pages for updates, happenings and more!